Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Balancing Act

Sunday night's service was my 31st church service in 31 days. I am sure that is a personal record! I have really enjoyed my time "off" and being able to visit several churches and go to several meetings. I never did really conclude my historia of the Texas trip from my previous 2 blogs, but now I've already been to the "Campvention" as well. There is so much to tell...I couldn't possibly get it all in! So just order the DVDs! ;-) I plan to watch them again myself...I was helping in the video department at the Campground, and it is difficult to really process what's being said in a meeting when you're working during the service.

One thing is for sure...my scale is way out of balance. God is calling on me to respond appropriately to the good things that I have received. Bro. Wilkinson used this illustration to explain how the grace of God works. He said that when John the Baptist told the Pharisees to bring forth fruit meet for repentance that the word "meet" is the same one translated "worthy" in many locations, and that it was a common market term used to refer to the process of weighing out the proper payment to buy a certain commodity. He calls us to walk worthy of the vocation wherewith we are called. We are constantly indebted to God for His grace. We can never truly get the scale balanced, because as soon as we respond appropriately and get the scale moving in the right direction, He piles on more grace! I thought that this was a wonderful illustration of how God's grace doesn't give us license to sin; on the contrary, it obligates us to good works!

I thought of the scripture that says "To whom much is given, much is required." He's done so much for me, surely I am required to live for Him! We can't outgive God, but we can sure try to do as much as we can for Him. I remember what it meant to me as a child to hear my father say "I'm proud of you, son." It still means so much today to know that my dad is pleased with me. Just imagine what it would be like to hear our Heavenly Father say "Well done, my child." I want to make it!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

31 days! Geez! That has to be a record somewhere... how awesome. I am just going to have listen to the dvds. Do you know if they have them available for download via the Cross Plains Assembly? I'll have to ck it out.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I enjoyed your comment and would like to view the DVD. Who do I contact to place an order? Thank you.

Jonathan Durr said...

To my anonymous commenter: Are you someone I know, or did you just stumble across my blog?

To anyone else: Does anyone know who to contact to order Campmeeting and Convention DVDs? I know my church ordered a set of each, so I can get copies there. Anyone know more details of where to obtain copies?

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am not someone you know but I attend one of the Gospel Assembly churches. I stumbled across your blog.

I just stumbled upon it again otherwise I would have responded sooner!

graciousaint said...

Hello Jonathan,
I ran across your blog by accident and am very pleased to see others online.

I view the Cross Plains web site often to catch up on events.

graciousaint@ispky.com