Thursday, November 23, 2006

10/8/06: My Psalm

Here's something I wrote a couple of months ago on a Sunday morning before church. I'd been reading in Psalms and had been thinking of writing a psalm myself for several days, then when I started to write, it just flowed out. Maybe it will be uplifting to someone:


I praise You Lord for who You are! You are greater than my mind can comprehend: You who formed the universe out of nothing, You who see the sparrow in the midst of the storm, You who created all life, You who hear each tiny heartbeat of an unborn child, You who set the world in motion, You who know the end of every beginning. You care about me!

Keep me Lord in the palm of Your hand. Lead me Lord in the way You would have me to go. Show me the next step You want me to take. Help me respond to Your gentle guidance as an obedient sheep to a loving shepherd. But Lord, when I am weak, when I am stubborn, when I am indifferent to Your leading, use Your rod and Your staff to move me in the right direction. Even when I don't seem to want Your leading, yes, especially then--lead me Lord!

Mold this vessel on Your wheel of life's circumstances. Apply the water of Your spirit when my clay is too dry to shape. Make me just what You want me to be, fit for Your purpose! Lord, when the time is right, when this vessel has been prepared to stand the heat, place me in the fire. I know that you will watch and give me strength to stand as You allow fiery trials to harden me into a vessel that can be used by You. When I have come through the fire under Your care, use me Lord as You see fit. Let me be a vessel of honor, Lord I pray! Let me be a reservoir of Your spirit, ever mindful of others who may need a drink!

If ever I fall and am broken, if ever I crack under the pressure, remember Lord who I am and what I am made of. Remember that without You I am but dust. I am weak without Your spirit and Your fire that strengthens me. Pick me up, Lord! Mend me! Return me to the wheel if necessary, Lord! Add to me what needs to be added. Take away what must be taken away. I trust Lord that You know what You are doing. Only give me strength to stand the fire again! Lord, make me what I ought to be!
8/13/06

No comments: